Everyone in India has heard about sandalwood trees which are famous for its fragrance and one of the expensive tree in the world.
If you are planning to visit the sandalwood forest with your friends or family, Marayoor city which is known as the hub of sandalwood trees will grab your attention.
If you are tired searching for various articles online about Marayoor, then you are in the right place.
In this article, we will be providing you the complete details regarding Marayoor City, some nearby tourist spots, the best time to visit, etc.
I hope this article will help you in planning your trip to Marayoor better.
What is Marayoor?
Marayoor is a small city in Kerala which is famous for its sandalwood forest and located at a distance of approximately 40 kilometers from Munnar.
Sandalwood trees are always expensive which is always a center of attraction for the dacoits. Dacoits steal such trees so that they can earn lots of money for themselves.
In Marayoor, sandalwood forest is always in danger of dacoits. Therefore it is protected by the forest department and it also becomes a favorite tourist spot for visitors from all across the globe.
Not only sandalwood forest marayoor is famous for its history, nature, and photography.
Various professional photographers had visited this place earlier to capture beautiful photos using their cameras.
It will take approximately one hour to visit this forest of Marayoor and this forest will be open from 6 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on all the days of the week.
Visiting this forest is free of cost and tourist does not have to pay any additional amount to view the sandalwood trees.
Things to remember while traveling to Marayoor
If you are planning to visit the sandalwood forest of Marayoor, there are a few things that you should remember very carefully.
- Girls should avoid wearing heels which can cause discomfort to them while walking on the roads of Marayoor. Roads of Marayoor are not very plain and wearing heels can cause the journey to the girls.
- While traveling to Marayoor, which is the journey of approximately 1 hour by walk you may feel thirsty. Therefore, you need to carry a bottle of water with yourself.
Otherwise, you can also buy coconut water from the roadside stalls while walking.
- Another thing that you should remember very carefully is carrying government ID proof. Otherwise, the forest department will not allow you to enter the sandalwood forest even after making a walk of 1 hour.
- This beautiful place is famous for photography. Therefore one should always remember to carry a good camera with themselves to capture this beautiful place perfectly.
- If you are visiting Marayoor with your friends or family, you can also go shopping in the small shops that are present nearby the sandalwood forest.
- As it is a long track of 1 hour, it is always a good practice to go for some other easy trek before visiting Marayoor.
Traveling to Marayoor
- Trekking in the forest is not an easy thing to do especially if you are traveling with your family.
Therefore if you want to avoid any such problem of encountering wildlife animals, it is always good to have a tourist guide with you in Marayoor.
- To get a tourist guide, you can reach out to your travel agent before starting your trip.
- It is always recommended to visit in December so that you can enjoy the fragrance of sandalwood at its peak under the pleasant climate.
- If you are currently in Munnar and want to visit Marayoor which is a distance of 40 kilometers, you can take a prepaid taxi from Munnar to Marayoor via your travel agent.
Tourist spots in Marayoor
Marayoor is known for its various tourist spots. Some of the famous tourist spots at the nearby locations which tourists can explore are mentioned below.
- Visiting sandalwood trees is on everyone’s priority list traveling to Marayoor.
- Tourists can also view the processing of sandalwood in the factories located in Marayoor.
- Apart from these places, there are some nearby tourist places like Eravikulam National park, Mattupetty dam, Munnar tea museum, blossom hydel park, Kundala Dam Lake, the fun forest which tourist can visit with their friends or family and enjoy taking pictures at these tourist spots.
- To grab some tasty food nearby, tourists can visit some of the famous restaurants like Maya Bazar, copper castle restaurant, KTDC Tea County restaurant, Saravana Bhavan, etc.
Where is Marayoor located in India?
Marayoor is situated in the Idukki district of Kerala close to a beautiful hill station, Munnar.
What is the distance between Munnar and Marayoor?
Marayoor is famous for sandalwood trees is located at a distance of approximately 40 kilometers from Munnar.
What is the best way to reach Marayoor from Munnar?
If you are currently staying or enjoying your vacations in Munnar hill station and you want to visit Marayoor with your family, you can take a prepaid taxi to cover this distance of 40 kilometers.
What is the most famous thing that attracts tourists towards this small place Marayoor?
Marayoor is famous for sandalwood trees which makes this destination of the favourite spot for tourists to smell the awesome fragrance of sandalwood.
What are the famous tourist spots near Marayoor?
Marayoor is surrounded by various tourist spots like mattupetty dam, Eravikulam National park, blossom Hydel Park, Kundala Dam Lake, etc.
Final Verdict for Marayoor – Sandalwood hub of India
Marayoor is a tourist place near Munnar at a distance of approximately 4 kilometers which is famous for its sandalwood forest along with some other places like ancient caves and burial ground.